By: Jennifer Bezingue
The great thing about this African Pin and Stick is that you can wear it as a pin on your clothing or even in your hair as a festive and fun hair pin. Made using a combination of clay colors, this African Pin and Stick could easily be customized to showcase one or more of your favorite clay colors. This pin and stick could also be used as a gift package decoration or a fun way to tie up fabric, burlap, or silk.
1 block Premo! Accents: 18K Gold – 2 oz
1 block Premo! Accents: Bronze – 2 oz
1 block Premo! Sculpey®: Spanish Olive * – 2 oz
Clay Conditioning Machine
Sculpey Acrylic Roller
Sculpey® Clay Tool Starter Set
Sculpey® Etch ‘N Pearl
Sculpey® Super Slicer
Sculpey® Bake & Bond
Circle clay cutter, 1-1/4″
Deli paper or parchment paper
Wood or bamboo #3 double-pointed knitting needle, or bamboo skewer
1. Make Bronze raised dots with small and medium Etch ‘N Pearl tools (see Tips). Bake 15 minutes. Remove from baking surface; remove extra clay around dot edges if needed.
2. Using 1/4 bar of each color, make three logs about 2″ long. Press one long edge of each log to make them into
triangle logs. Press logs together, overlapping wide edges with points. Press to flatten. Roll through pasta
machine with multi-color edge perpendicular to rollers. Fold sheet in half, matching sides to sides, and roll
through pasta machine again. Repeat until the colors in the sheet are blended. To keep the sheet from widening
with each pass through the pasta machine, put the sheet next to the edge of the rollers and press your finger
against the other side of the sheet as you crank with your other hand.
3. Using Clay Conditioning Machine at setting #1, make Bronze sheet slightly larger than the finished size of your
shawl pin. Powder sheet back and lay on sanding screen. Using Clay Conditioning Machine at setting #4, make
blended sheet thinner. Lay blended sheet on Bronze sheet and roll together with Acrylic Roller, taking care not
to trap air between the layers. Remove from sanding screen and place on deli paper. Cut center hole with round
clay cutter. Using flexible Super Slicer held in a curve, cut three curved edges. Press in prebaked Bronze dots.
4. Cut center hole with round clay cutter. Using flexible Super Slicer held in a curve, cut three curved edges. Press
in prebaked Bronze dots.
5. Cut 3″ length from wood knitting needle or skewer. Put dot of Bake& Bend on cut end. Using scraps from
previous steps, form decorative ornament and press on cut end of stick. Bake 30 minutes. Allow to cool
completely before handling.