Buddy Up With Your Finger Friends – Summer Crafts for Kids .
Make a new friend with Kathleen George’s creations. The finger friend is a fun and exciting adventure you can have with your kids. It’s easy too.
• STYROFOAM Brand Products:
o 2‐ 1″ or 1‐1/2″ balls
o 1‐ block (optional)
• 1‐ 3″ piece of chenille stem
• 1‐ pair wiggle eyes
• Craft paintstiff paint brush
• Felt scraps
• Craft materials such as eyelash curls, pom‐poms, yarn
• General Tools and Supplies:
• Craft glue or glue gun and glue sticks
• Wooden skewers or toothpicks
1. If desired, paint balls of STYROFOAM. Push a skewer into the balls to hold while painting; place skewers in a block of foam to hold while balls dry.
2. Shape 3″ piece of chenille stem into a “U”. Dip ends in glue and insert U shape into 2 balls so U
shape will slip under the wearer’s middle finger while the two balls sit on top of the hand to
form the puppet’s eyes. (1″ balls work best for smaller hands.)
3. Cut felt shapes for eyes; glue wiggle eyes to felt or attach wiggle eyes directly on plastic foam balls. Glue on other features such as pom‐poms and eyelash curls, or felt ears and eyelids.
4. Dab glue onto foam and use a skewer to push materials such as yarn into the foam for hair.
Insert chenille stems into foam for antennae or eye lashes. For antennae, gently curve chenille stems and glue pom‐poms onto the tips of shaped chenille stems; dip in glue and insert into foam.
5. Modify the finger puppet instructions to create a finger friend that resembles your school mascot, favorite pet or other character. Buttons, sequins or glitter are other objects that might inspire your creativity.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
By: Kathleen George