Step-by-step photos help you to create a swirly plastic necklace pendant with matching earrings from
AMACO, perfect for the holidays. The Christmas tree pendant and earrings are festive, yet stylish. Give
friendly plastic a try!
Friendly Plastic® 7″ sticks – Green,
Avocado, Dark Teal, Print Green, Swirl
Small dish of cold water with a few
drops of olive oil
Griddle set at 200-300 degrees
Non-stick baking sheet that fits flat on
Sealer – Envirotex Lite or similar high
gloss acrylic sealer
Disposable mixing container and stir
Non-stick cookie sheet
Round nose and needle nose jewelry
E 6000 glue
Jewelry findings – antiqued brass, round
filigree, 2 sparrows, circle link, 3 star
shaped spacer beads, eye pins, chain,
clasp, ear wires, jump rings
Three flat backed Swarovski crystals
1. Using scissors cut the plastic sticks into random sized strips and triangles. This is a perfect project
for using any scrap pieces of plastic left from previous projects.
2. Pre heat the griddle. Place the baking sheet onto the griddle. One at a time, begin to arrange the
triangles and strips in a patchwork pattern. Make sure each piece is stuck in place before adding
the next. Try to press each piece tightly against the one before to prevent any gaps. Continue
until all of the pieces have been added. Allow the plastic to soften and seal together. If any gaps
do appear, simply tap over them with your finger pressing the softened plastic together.
3. When all the plastic has softened and sealed together, place the teeth of the marbling comb
against the baking sheet and draw the comb through the plastic in a wavy “S” pattern. NOTE: It
is very important that you keep the teeth of the comb against the pan while cutting through the
plastic. If you only rake over the top, you split the metallic finish and take the chance of exposing
too much of the base plastic.
4. Remove the pan from the griddle. Allow the plastic to cool. You may place the pan under cold
running water to speed the cooling process along. Use the needle tool to press under the edges
of the cooled plastic and remove it from the pan. On the reverse side of the plastic, using a
stylus, trace one large and two small tree templates. Do the same of the reverse side of a stick of
black plastic. Following the indented lines created by the stylus, cut out the trees using scissors.
5. Apply the Envirotex lite sealer following the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Note: I like to place my pieces on a non-stick cookie sheet. This way if there is any run off, it will
be easy to remove later. Once I have the Envirotex mixed, I like to pour it into a small squeeze
bottle. The application will be more precise and much easier. Blow softly through a straw to pop
any air bubbles that remain. Allow to dry at least 12 hours if there has been any run off. Remove
the piece from the pan by pressing the needle tool under it and lifting. The resin is still soft
enough that you can cut the excess off with a scissors. Envirotex cures completely in 24 hours.
7. To create the earring components, heat and soften the back of the small black tree using the
heat tool. You don’t want to soften the whole piece, just the surface, enough to press the eye pin
into place. Be careful not to touch the softened plastic with your fingers. Once the eye pin is in
place, align the marbled tree on top and gently press the two together. Moisten your fingers
with water and lightly rub around the edges of the component to smooth and secure the bond.
Allow the components to cool completely. Repeat this step for the second earring component.
8. To create the large tree pendant, heat and soften the back of the large black tree using the heat
tool. Once again, you don’t want to soften the whole piece, just the surface, enough to press the
filigree finding into place. Be careful not to touch the softened plastic with your fingers. Once
the filigree piece is in place, align the marbled tree on top and gently press the two together.
9. Gather the jewelry components to being assembly. Glue the stars onto the top of each tree, and
then glue a crystal into the center of each star. Allow glue to dry.
10. Assemble the necklace and earrings according to the photo or as desired.