Follow this simple cosmetic bag sewing tutorial to create an adorable place to store small cosmetics and kick-knacks. With these cosmetic bag sewing instructions from Coats and Clark, you’ll have a special bag perfect for everyday use.
Coats Fashion Closed End Zipper, 7” or Coats All-purpose Zipper, 7i”
Dual Duty XP General Purpose thread, to match fabric
Print Fabric- ½ yard or fat quarter Lining Fabric- ½ yard or fat quarter
Fusible Interfacing- ½ yard
1. Make a pattern by drawing a rectangle 18” (L) x 10”(W). Draw a line across the center of the rectangle. On each of the 10” ends, mark 1” from each side. Draw a line connecting these marks to the ends of the center line creating tapered sides. Each end will be 8” tapering to 10” at the center.
2. Cut the 1 each of the pattern from the print fabric and interfacing.
3. For the lining, fold the pattern in half and add ½” seam allowance to bottom (10”) end. Cut 2 from lining fabric.
4. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the print fabric following manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Place zipper right sides together on one of the 8” ends of the print fabric. Place lining over zipper, right side down. Pin. Using a zipper foot, stitch ¼” from raw edge. Press lining to inside. Repeat with other side of zipper.
6. Sew side seams together, being careful of zipper ends. Box the bottom corners of the bag by aligning the seam with the center of the bottom forming a point. Stitch across 1” from end of point. Repeat on other side seam.
7. Turn bag right side out. Pull lining out and align folds on bottom. Sew across bottom edges of lining to close. Tuck lining back into bag.