Easy Amish Recipes- Apple Dumplings .
Our recipe for easy homemade apple dumplings is inspired by the traditional apple dumplings that are still so popular in the Amish areas of Pennsylvania.
Baking Time: 50 minutes
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 rolled refrigerated pie crust (from a 15-
4 small or 2 medium Granny Smith apples,
peeled and cored (see Note)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the water, white sugar, vanilla, 1 tablespoon butter, and the nutmeg over high heat. Bring to a boil for 1 minute; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; mix well.
4. Unroll pastry and cut into quarters. Stuff each apple cavity with an equal amount of brown sugar mixture and place on a pastry quarter. Fold pastry up around apples and pinch ends together to completely enclose apples. Place dumplings seam-side down in an 8-inch square baking dish and pour sugar sauce over the top.
5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm, drizzled with sugar glaze from bottom of baking dish.
Small apples work great for this recipe but they’re not always available, so go
ahead and use the regular-sized ones cut in half.