This sinfully good recipe for Whoopie Pies, which are an Amish Pennsylvania Dutch specialty, tastes incredible with a cold glass of milk. With a rich creamy filling sandwiched between two mini chocolate cake rounds, “from scratch” was never easier!
Baking Time: 10 minutes
1 (18.25-ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, and eggs; beat well. Drop on prepared baking sheets in 2-1/2- to 3-inch circles. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. In a saucepan, combine milk and flour, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it forms a thick paste. Let cool.
4. In a medium bowl, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy; stir in vanilla extract then add cooled flour mixture and beat until doubled in volume.
5. Turn half of the cooled cakes over on their backs. Spoon a dollop of filling onto half of them.
Place the other half of the cakes on top of the filling, forming sandwiches.