By: Becky Meverden
Kids and adults are sure to love this cute Fun Giraffe. Great for sitting atop a gift package or being turned into an ornament, this cute clay figurine is simple and fun to make. With some parental guidance and supervision, even kids and teens can create their own Fun Giraffes out of Sculpey Polymer clay.
Two ounce brick of Premo! Sculpey polymer clay in cadmium yellow
Two ounce brick of Premo! Sculpey polymer clay in raw sienna
Two black seed beads
Parchment paper or index card
Baking dish or cookie sheet
1. For the body, roll a one-inch ball of cadmium yellow clay into a cone. Press bottom against a flat surface and
press a pin halfway into the top of the body.
2. For brown patches, roll 1/8-inch balls of raw sienna clay and flatten, pressing them randomly all over the
3. Roll two 5/8-inch balls of cadmium yellow clay into tapered logs. Slightly flatten the narrower end of each log
into a leg shape and randomly place brown patches all over each leg. Use the end of a paintbrush to make three
impressions on the end of each leg then press a leg onto each side of the body.
4. Roll two 9/16-inch balls of cadmium yellow clay into tapered logs. Slightly flatten the narrower end of each log
into arm shapes. Randomly place brown patches all over each arm and press one into each side of the body.
5. For the head, roll a 13/16-inch ball of cadmium yellow clay into a 1-1/8-inch long log and shape into a head.
Press two black seed beads into the head for eyes, and use a toothpick to make two squint lines by each eye.
6. Roll two 1/4-inch balls of cadmium yellow clay into teardrop-shaped ears. Flatten slightly and press onto the
head. Roll two 7/32-inch balls of raw sienna into teardrop-shaped antlers. Use the end of a paintbrush to make
two holes in the top of the head between the ears and press an antler into each hole.
7. Use the end of a paintbrush to make two nostrils in the end of the head. For the mouth, use a knife to cut a
smile into the head about 1/4-inch deep.
8. Randomly place brown patches all over the head and press the head onto the body.
9. Bake in a preheated 265-degree oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and remove the figure when cool.