Holiday Cookie Mix in a Jar – DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar .
This Cookie Mix in a Jar craft is an easy gift idea for a friend with a sweet tooth. Personalize the outside of the jar with paper punches, ribbon, and stickers. Pick your favorite cookie recipe (or choose one of the two listed on the following pages) and fill the jar with the dry ingredients needed to make a batch of cookies. Write out the recipe and attach it to the jar so that your recipient can bake your yummy treat.
Wide mouth canning jars
20” ribbon per jar
1) Create a simple paper funnel from cardstock. Roll the cardstock into a cone and secure with tape. Use the cone to fill the bottom of the jar with flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add sugars, oats, and additional ingredients as necessary. Place the seal on top of the jar.
2) Trace a small circle onto a coordinating piece of fabric for the lid. Cut along the line.
3) Place fabric over seal. Place ring over the fabric. Use glue dots to attach a whisk, spatula or wooden spoon to the side of your jar. Tie ribbon around jar. For extra support, secure the utensil with a rubber band and cover with ribbon.
4) Create labels for the jar using your Fuse Creativity System, Medium Design Set 0111, and Medium Design Set 0191. Create two snowflakes using two different colors of cardstock.
5) Decide which of the two snowflakes will be the top layer and cut around the inked image as shown.
6) Using letters from the Alpha Basic stamp set, personalize “From the Kitchen of” tag.
7) Layer the snowflake die-cuts. Use a thumbtack to poke a hole through the center of both snowflakes. Insert fabric-covered brad through the holes and open the prongs. Embellish the larger
snowflake with self-adhesive rhinestones.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 ¼ cup chocolate chips* (Note: For M&M cookies, reduce salt to ½ tsp. and substitute M&Ms for chocolate chips. Or, do half chocolate chips, half M&Ms)
Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Empty jar into large bowl and mix evenly. Add ½ cup softened
butter or margarine, 1 egg (slightly beaten) and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well. Place by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown (approx. 11-13 min). Yield: 2 ½ dozen.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup butterscotch chips
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Empty jar into large bowl and mix evenly. Add ¾ cup softened
butter or margarine, 1 egg (slightly beaten) and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well. Place by spoonful onto
ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown (approx. 10-12 min) Yield: 3 dozen.
By: Tania Willis