This is a secret Amish recipe for a Fruit Filled Coffee Cake that is simply incomparable. With swirls of cherry pie filling running through every heavenly bite, this is no ordinary coffee cake.
Makes: 24 pieces
Cooking Time: 1 hr 15 min
1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 (21-ounce) can cherry or your favorite pie
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream together eggs, 1-1/2 cups sugar, the oil, juice, and vanilla. Add flour and
baking powder; mix well. Pour half the batter into prepared baking dish. Spread pie filling over
3. In a small bowl, mix remaining sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the mixture over
4. Spoon remaining batter over pie filling then sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinnamon
5. Bake 15 minutes then reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake an additional 60 minutes, or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.